Best folding beds
I have never liked big homes. My ideal house is the one that has only the surface I actually use. I do not get people who want a big house. How are they using all that space? The reality is that from 1950 to this day, the average American home has increased one and a half times. And for what? So that you could have guest rooms and more bathrooms than you actually need? I find that peculiar, and I repel the idea of building a big house just because a few times per year you have people coming over. That is why my solution to that problem is to build a house with a surface that you use and then buy one or two folding beds.
Folding beds are, in my opinion, under-rated. They represent a practical piece of furniture, and people would find their lives a lot more convenient if instead of building large houses, they invest in folding beds. Luckily, the tiny house movement is on the rise, and it seems that more and more people can see the positive effects it has over their lives.
The benefits of using folding beds
A folding bed is not such an unusual item. It is a metal structure that folds, and that you can use when you have people over. However, as simple as it may be, it holds a lot of benefits. Here are my favorites:
- It is the ideal solution for when you have guests – instead of spending a small fortune on decorating a bedroom for guests, you can just buy a folding bed and take it out when you have people over, and they stay overnight. Why spend money on a bed, when a folding bed comes cheap?
- You can put it up and take it down in seconds – the beauty of a folding bed lies in its convenience. It takes a minute to put it up, and just as much to stow away. In my case, arranging the bedding takes a whole lot more.
- It takes less space than a conventional bed – space is an issue in smaller homes, which is why a folding solution to anything always comes in handy. A folding bed can take very little space both when it is unfolded and in storage. It will not be an issue either way.
- You save some money – everyone likes the idea of saving While a regular bed costs a few hundred of dollars, a folding bed can be found for under $100. How is that for saving some cash?
- It is the best solution for mobile homes – do you have a small trailer and you want to take a long trip? A folding bed will save some space in your mobile home. You use it only when you sleep anyway so it will not make much of a difference for you whether it is a regular bed or a folding bed you are sleeping on. After all, you are in a trailer, and space is not at our discretion.
- You can take them when you go camping – if you are like me and you do not like sleeping on the ground when camping, a folding bed will prove to be very useful. It is easy to transport, so that will not be an issue. Plus, you will be warmer than on the ground.
- They are more comfortable than they used to be – manufacturer manage to produce pretty comfy folding beds these days. Some even come with memory foam mattresses, which makes you not feel the difference between a regular bed and a folding bed. Not as much anyway.
How to choose the best folding bed?
When you are in the market for a folding bed, the worst thing you could do is to buy a random folding bed. While picking a folding bed is not rocket science, you still need to look if the one product you want is what you are looking for. Otherwise, you may regret your decision and send it back. With that in mind, here are a few considerations you need to have before making a purchase.
- Size – not all folding beds are created equal, which means that you need to check the specifications of the product you want to make sure that it is right for the purpose. However, I find that buying a relatively large model will suit all needs. That way, no matter who comes over, he or she can fit just fine and sleep comfortably. Of course, this rule does not apply when you are looking for a folding bed for your mobile home. After all, the bed needs to fit. Just take the measurements and take it from there. You cannot go wrong.
- The construction of the frame – while the whole point of a folding bed is to be easy to store and lightweight, it does not mean that the structure needs to be poorly-constructed. Quite the contrary, actually. It needs to hold well so that it does not break.
- Capacity – while most folding beds have a weight capacity of about 300 pounds, if you need one with more significant capacity, you will find it. You just need to look for it. Read the specifications to find out.
- Comfort – just because you are looking for a folding bed, it does not mean it has to be uncomfortable. Lucky for you, a lot of models these days come with memory foam mattresses and a comfortable frame. While the mattress is what provides most of the comfort, the frame needs to provide optimal support as well. The structure underneath the mattress must not have any indentations that you could feel. After all, a folding bed mattress is not as thick as the ones we use on regular-sized beds. You cannot check for comfort online, but you can read folding beds reviews to see what other people have to say about that when it comes to a particular product. It helps.
- The thickness of the mattress – while a folding bed mattress cannot possibly be as thick as the one you put on a conventional bed, it still needs to be thick enough for comfort. I find that any folding bed mattress under 3 inches is not comfortable enough, but 4-5 inches is ideal. The price difference is not significant, so if you have to choose between 3 and 4 inches, I would say that you need to go with the 4-inch mattress.
What are the best folding beds?
Lucky for you, there are a lot of products you can choose from in every price range. You just need to take your pick. However, do not forget to look closely at a product’s specifications to make sure that it fits your criteria. If you do not have the time or patience for that, I chose three excellent products that I believe you will like. Enjoy!
Zinus Traveler Elite Folding Guest Bed Frame with Comfort Foam Mattress
If I did not specify, it is always better to go for a model that comes with the mattress. Buying the frame only means more hassle for you, so just buy one that has the mattress included. Like this product. The Zinus folding bed is one of the best I could find for under $100. It is a convenient model that you can just fold in half whenever you do not need it. The folding and the unfolding last just a minute, and it occupies very little space in storage. You can just put it in a closet when not in use.
The frame is made of high-quality 14-inch steel. It is highly durable, and it can easily hold a person that weighs up to 300 pounds. When opened, the folding bed form Zinus measures 75 inches in length, 31 inches in width, and 12 inches in height. It can comfortably fit a regular-sized person.
The mattress is 4 inches thick. That is ideal for a folding mattress. It is thick enough to provide comfort for the person sleeping on it, but not too thick so that you have trouble folding it. The 4 inches also include 0.5 inches of fiber padding, 2.5 inches of pressure relieving comfort foam. If it helps, the foam is CertiPur-US certified for durability, performance, and content.
InnerSpace Luxury Products 4-inch Torino Folding Bed
The folding bed from InnerSpace Luxury Products is also a high-quality product that you can get for less than $100. However, this one looks a little bit better. It is probably because it has a beautiful black and white design. That does not matter too much because you will cover it anyway, but it was worth mentioning.
The mattress this folding bed comes with is made of 4 inches of high-density polyurethane foam. That makes it incredibly comfortable for anyone who sleeps on it. Another factor that adds to your comfort is the flexible metal mesh that comes underneath the mattress. It is not rigid, and that makes a significant difference. The mattress is reversible, but it is quilted on both sides. If you turn it over from time to time, it lasts longer. Also, it has a durable stain resistant polyester cover.
The capacity of this folding bed is 300 pounds. The steel frame is highly durable, and the bed features wheels that will help you roll it into position. The wheels are attachable, so if they break, you can buy another set. Even with the wheels, the bed is stable. But you have to admit that the casters are useful when you need to stow away the bed. When unfolded, this bed measures 75 inches in length, 31 in width, and 15 inches in height.
BestMassage Roll Away Folding Guest Bed
Last but not least, this may be another product that may spike your interest. This one is just a little above $100, but the difference is barely noticeable. However, it is an excellent product, and I think you will appreciate it. The 12-inch heavy-duty steel frame with wheels can withstand a weight of up to 300 pounds. It folds in half easily when you do not need it, and that should take you about a minute.
Unlike the other two products, the BestMassage folding bed has a mattress of only 3 inches. However, it is still comfortable and provides enough support. When opened, this bead measures 75 inches in length, 30 in width, and 15 inches in height. When you do not need it anymore, just fold it and roll it away in a closet. It is that simple.
The metal grid underneath the mattress will make sleeping comfortable. Even with the wheels, this folding bed is stable. The casters are sturdy, but you should avoid putting your weight on them while unfolded. They are made of plastic, after all. Other than that, you can enjoy an excellent product.
When you have three great products at hand, it is difficult to make a decision. However, judging by features and design, I think that my favorite is the Zinus Traveler Elite Folding Guest Bed Frame with Comfort Foam Mattress. It has a sleek design, it is durable, and it is cheap. I believe it is one of the best folding beds under $100 you can find online.
A folding bed should not require this much thought in buying. However, it is your money, and you need to spend it wisely. That implies buying the best products as cheap as possible. One of the products above will meet that criterion for you, and whatever you choose, you will be happy with your decision. Click here to buy on Amazon
- Put up Beds: No Longer a Mystery
- Ideas, Formulas and Shortcuts for Folding Sofa Bed
- Jay Be Folding Bed Options
- What You Don’t Know About Double Folding Bed Could Be Costing to More Than You Think
- The Nuiances of Fold up Double Bed
- How to Find Best Rollaway Bed Online
- All About Murphy Bed Desk
- Top Hide Away Beds Choices
- Full Size Rollaway Bed Reviews & Guide
- What to Expect From Pull down Bed?
- Finding Hideaway Bed
- Rumors, Deception and Folding Bed Frame
- Top Best Folding Bed Reviews!
- Fraud, Deceptions, and Downright Lies About Folding Bed Price Exposed
- The 30-Second Trick for Folding Single Bed
- The Key to Successful Folding Cot Bed
- New Ideas Into Folding Bed Mattress Never Before Revealed
- Up in Arms About Folding Double Bed?
- Single Folding Bed: the Ultimate Convenience!
- The Lost Secret of Hide a Bed
- The Chronicles of Z Bed
- The Most Overlooked Solution for Portable Bed
- Get the Scoop on Foldaway Beds Before You’re Too Late
- Folding Guest Bed Explained
- What You Should Do to Find Out About Fold down Bed Before You’re Left Behind
- What Everybody Dislikes About Guest Bed and Why
- The Nuiances of Wall Bed
- Understanding Roll Away Beds
- Why Absolutely Everyone Is Talking About Fold out Bed and What You Should Do
- The Do This, Get That Guide On Fold Away Bed
- Folding Beds Guide
- Uncommon Article Gives You the Facts on Fold up Bed That Only a Few People Know Exist
- A Fair Perspective on Rollaway Bed
- The Forbidden Truth Regarding Folding Bed Exposed by an Expert
- Uncommon Article Gives You the Facts on Murphy Bed That Only a Few People Know Exist